I feel like there's math in this post, but I promise it isn't.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

You know what's really awkward?  When one of your friends starts dating the friend of your friend.

Like...I'm A, my friend is B, and I'm friends with C.  C has this friend D, who meets B when A and C hang out, and suddenly, B and D are dating.

Let's all make this complicated because A also likes C's other friend E, and now B is hanging out with C, D AND E, and A is left...out.

Yeah.

I've talked about how I'm the single one of most of my friends before.  Because it's just the way it is: I'm the single girl.  Single all my life, and everyone else around me seems to float in and out of relationships.  I am the constant. Everyone else is just a variable.  And I'm ok with this, I get that it's not really something I can control, it's how the world works and I trust that it'll work out in some way or another.  Maybe this is how it's meant to be.

But you know...sometimes it kind of sucks.

I'm about to get all whine-y, rage-y, bitch-y up in here, as a warning.

I am glad to be your friend.  I will always be your friend.  But it SUCKS when I am the back up plan.  I don't always like being there when your boyfriend/guy you're seeing has other plans.  I get you have to split your time, that yes, a boyfriend will take precedence the majority of the time -- but it's a big blow to my self-esteem when I am constantly the "Oh well I'm actually going to go out with my boyfriend...but if the plans change, you'll be next!"  The "oh hey, so my boyfriend suddenly has to work and I know you're free, let's hang!"  Because yes, not dating someone most definitely means that I am always open, always available, always hanging around waiting for your call so I can have a life.  Sarcasm.

I am always happy to listen to you and the details of your dates and how everything went.  I will always have an open ear.  But please notice the slight hurt in my eyes when you start telling me how wonderful he is, how amazing he is, how you can't believe that someone could live without this kind of love and affection in their life.  That it takes me just a half second longer to laugh with you when you tell me the sweet, funny thing he did for you; that my voice will falter when I tell you it's all wonderful.  I am happy for you, trust me - but it makes my own heart yearn, too.

I'm an open person.  I don't get embarrassed by much, and I will just as soon talk openly about periods and sex as I will about career and design and whatever-have-you.  But sometimes, it is NOT appropriate to tell me the gritty details of your sex life or constantly talk about how you get it on, when you do, where you did, how long you did, how hot and excited you guys were. It is not always appropriate to make things a sexual insinuation, and no, I don't feel it necessary to constantly turn everything into a sexualized object.  In a bar over cocktails discussing your latest guy?  Sure, tell me whatever you want.  Pointing at a bed in a furniture store and saying that it won't work because the headboard isn't something you can grab onto in ecstasy?  Not quite.

I'm a fairly confident person.  I am comfortable with who I am, what I can do, how I view myself right now.  I know my abilities and what I can offer.  But that doesn't mean all of that doesn't take a hit when people keep passing me up to be with you.  When it's pointed out that someone chose you over me. When it's obvious that I was second choice, that I am the wingman woman to your Target.  Say what you want to puff up your own ego, but know that it isn't appreciated when you tell me "Well yeah, he was talking to you, but I can feel that it was just so he could get to me."  EVEN if it's true...I hope you see the light in my eyes die just a little bit.

And can I just say that it's really depressing that a majority of my friends have met their significant others through me?  All my friends always love my other friends.  I'm a great matchmaker!  I'm just terrible at finding my own match.

And at the end of the day, you get to go home to someone who will hug you and kiss you and simply be happy to be with you.

And I?

I am the backup. The constant. The perimeter.  The single rider, there to fill in the space.

1 comments:

Sue @ SimonsSistaSaw September 20, 2011 at 1:04 AM  

Oh boo. I feel for you and whilst I know you don't want pitty, I can totally empathize with where you are coming from. I'm that single girl here, who sets her friends up and everyone seemingly loves (but no one is "in love" with).

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
I'm fairly obsessed with penguins, Peanuts (the comic), and the TV show Friends. Parentheses may or may not be (over)used in this blog, and books will pretty much be the only thing I ever talk about because they are my One True Love.

Labels

#best09 #reverb10 12 Changes in 2012 2011 2012 20sb 30 Day Journal Challenge AAA absence album anecdote art article bad mood Balboa bathroom beach birthday blackout blog blog award blog birthday blog swap Blurb of Absurd body book books books; book review bored boys brother building fail California cards challenge change Chargers childhood China Glaze Christmas cigarettes clutter comic-con contest conversation excerpt cop out post Coronado creepy December Nights decoration Demi Lovato dilemma Disney Disneyland do you want to date me? documentaries Downtown Disney Dr. Horrible drag queens dream drunk earthquake Easter emotional Essie Fall family fashion Father's Day fear fiftypeopleonequestion fill in the blank friday Film first kiss food friends frustrated fun funny future future fail gifts girls Glee Golden Globes Google Google reader Google Wave greek guest blog Halloween happy health health insurance needs to rot in hell (but does it cover that?) help me hero hiatus hit and runs SUCK ASS holidays home hope hot humor hypothetical situations not at all based on reality or my life imaginary in memoriam inspiration introspective iPad Italians Jeopardy Jersey Shore John Mayer journalism judgment L'Oreal LA letters to myself library lies life life lessons Link Love Friday list love lust Mama Kat's Workshop Mash-Up Mayer Hawthorne mom money movies music nails NaNoWriMo nerd new year night out OPI opinion packaging party past peace Peanuts penguin personal photos pictures place poetry polish Portland Postsecret random relationships Restaurant Road to VDay room roommates from hell rush sad sdcc10 secret shame shopping sick sleep spoken word sports Starbucks strange Target tea Teaser Tuesday technology Ten on Tuesday thanksgiving this makes no sense this should probably embarrass me but it doesn't tips Top Ten Tuesday (Books) Toy Story 3 travel trips TV TV taping Twitter Utah Valentine's Day Vancouver 2010 weather weekend WHAT IS MY LIFE why does auto-correct suck so hard Wordless Wednesday work work sucks workshop writer's block writing YA you're not really a doctor anyway Zoya

i'm probably reading

Zoe's bookshelf: read

The Dragon's EyeAngelsThe Lightning ThiefThe Man of My DreamsCity of GlassCity of Ashes

More of Zoe's books »
Zoe's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP