Getty Center, Mayer Hawthorne and somehow I talk about using the bathroom twice.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

You know what's not fun?  Having to pee preeeetty badly when an earthquake hits.  Let's just say that was not a good situation yesterday, and leave it at that.

So, let's talk about my Saturday and how effing awesome it was!  There were a few not so effing awesome parts, but in general one of the best days I've had in a really long time.  It did not start out well when I only had 3 hours of sleep, and then stuffing 5 cranky people into a car at 8:30am led to some..um...raised voices, if you will.  But by the time we got to the Getty Center around noon (we had a few car mix-ups and delays), myself and 9 of my friends were in considerably better moods.  We set out to find what this famed West Coast museum could offer...and so begins a few pictures (if you would like to see more, find my flickr...OH WAIT JK I don't have one of those.  These will have to do) (and sorry for not posting some of the more interesting ones, I just have a policy against posting pictures of my friends so I could only choose ones where their faces aren't clear) (though they will all be up on my facebook):

view

The Getty has this thing about fountains. And they all make me need to use the bathroom.

having fun with all the rearview mirrors!

In the interactive "family" part

One of the sculptures outside, which leads to....

...this interactive replication of the sculpture! You can rearrange all the tubing.
entrance

part of the gardens

And then the piece de resistance (I can't put in accents right now, so just imagine that phrase as it should be, please): Mayer Hawthorne.  It was pretty tight getting to see him perform at the Getty.  The show was outside in one of the courtyard areas during sunset, so it was a pretty unique experience.  Now, I love Mayer Hawthorne's music.  The first time I heard it, I started to groove within the first three bars.  It's just some sexy stuff, man.  I was hoping to post music of his without showing you who he was because when you hear it, you simply do not picture some scrawny white dude.  Trust when I say if you dig R&B, soul,  hip-hop beats and some deep, old school MoTown...you will love him.
It didn't seem like we were this far away. Also, this pic was achieved by me holding my camera as high as I could above my head.  Ahh, being 5'3" at shows...good times.  Good. Times.
And some video links if you want to hear a few of the performances.  Not the videos I took since I don't use my YouTube account for uploads, but these do the trick.
Just Ain't Gonna Work Out --skip the first half, unless you want to hear him talk about music stuff. And sing Biz Markie's "Just A Friend."


The night was rounded out with this pretty freakin' good sausage place in downtown LA arts district called Wurstküche.  I'd never heard of it, but my brother and his gf had gone before and he was craving it again. I'm not the most adventurous eater in the world, but he promised it would bring me back to our Belgium days, so I trusted him.
[via]
And while the bratwurst wasn't quite what I used to eat en Belgique and the fries were most definitely not the kind of my childhood, I was still pretty darn satisfied.  I learned long ago to not hold my upbringing against food I eat in America (else I'd never be satisfied with anything), and so I won't.  But the sausage itself was tasty, the bread roll it came in was all sorts of amazing, and I even found I really liked the onions and sweet peppers I opted for as a topping.  For a more detailed review and breakdown of the restaurant, visit Awkward Eats, the food blog my friend Vivian writes!

2 comments:

Vivian June 15, 2010 at 3:20 PM  

I'm glad you had fun at the Getty/outdoor concert! And yeah, Wurstkueche is really delicious but I can't compare it to food in Europe!

Elan June 16, 2010 at 2:26 PM  

I get where your coming from (with your comment on questions questions questions) (notice I like parenthesis too). It seems like people are on either end of the spectrum, with not as many people having found a balanced yet. It's either like a questions machine, or a total lack of questions.

I went out to the Getty Museum when I was in Santa Monica and it was quite nice. I'm going to post on it at some point seeing as it was a particularly interesting experience.

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
I'm fairly obsessed with penguins, Peanuts (the comic), and the TV show Friends. Parentheses may or may not be (over)used in this blog, and books will pretty much be the only thing I ever talk about because they are my One True Love.

Labels

#best09 #reverb10 12 Changes in 2012 2011 2012 20sb 30 Day Journal Challenge AAA absence album anecdote art article bad mood Balboa bathroom beach birthday blackout blog blog award blog birthday blog swap Blurb of Absurd body book books books; book review bored boys brother building fail California cards challenge change Chargers childhood China Glaze Christmas cigarettes clutter comic-con contest conversation excerpt cop out post Coronado creepy December Nights decoration Demi Lovato dilemma Disney Disneyland do you want to date me? documentaries Downtown Disney Dr. Horrible drag queens dream drunk earthquake Easter emotional Essie Fall family fashion Father's Day fear fiftypeopleonequestion fill in the blank friday Film first kiss food friends frustrated fun funny future future fail gifts girls Glee Golden Globes Google Google reader Google Wave greek guest blog Halloween happy health health insurance needs to rot in hell (but does it cover that?) help me hero hiatus hit and runs SUCK ASS holidays home hope hot humor hypothetical situations not at all based on reality or my life imaginary in memoriam inspiration introspective iPad Italians Jeopardy Jersey Shore John Mayer journalism judgment L'Oreal LA letters to myself library lies life life lessons Link Love Friday list love lust Mama Kat's Workshop Mash-Up Mayer Hawthorne mom money movies music nails NaNoWriMo nerd new year night out OPI opinion packaging party past peace Peanuts penguin personal photos pictures place poetry polish Portland Postsecret random relationships Restaurant Road to VDay room roommates from hell rush sad sdcc10 secret shame shopping sick sleep spoken word sports Starbucks strange Target tea Teaser Tuesday technology Ten on Tuesday thanksgiving this makes no sense this should probably embarrass me but it doesn't tips Top Ten Tuesday (Books) Toy Story 3 travel trips TV TV taping Twitter Utah Valentine's Day Vancouver 2010 weather weekend WHAT IS MY LIFE why does auto-correct suck so hard Wordless Wednesday work work sucks workshop writer's block writing YA you're not really a doctor anyway Zoya

i'm probably reading

Zoe's bookshelf: read

The Dragon's EyeAngelsThe Lightning ThiefThe Man of My DreamsCity of GlassCity of Ashes

More of Zoe's books »
Zoe's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP