Ten on Tuesday! Volume 2

Wednesday, January 20, 2010


Once again brought to you by the lovely Roots and Rings.  If you choose to do this, remember to go to her page and link your blog up!  And really, I promise that one week I will get this done on an actual Tuesday.  Starting it on a Tuesday has to count for something, right?  Moving along...Oh God, a book-centric ToT?!  I am so excited, and so damn confused!  This is hard to do when I've grown up in libraries.  My mom has been a librarian/worked in a library since I was 4, so I was raised on books and the Dewey Decimal System and alphabetizing.

1. Favorite book(s) when you were a child and why?
I was all up on Sweet Valley and Baby-Sitters Club.  I grew up on those Sweet Valley twins man, starting with the Kids, working my way to High, and even into University.  I was so much like Elizabeth Wakefield it was ridiculous.  And I loved me the BSC, but the thing is...I hate kids.  I've baby-sat once in my life, and that was when I was 20.  And I don't intend on doing it ever again.  But I just wanted to have a tight group like that and have a boyfriend like Logan (except when he broke Mary-Anne's heart).

2. First “grown-up” book you remember reading (i.e. written for adolescents or with adult themes, such as The Outsiders or Catcher in the Rye).
I have no idea why, but I read Toxin by Robin Cooke when I was 11.  I think I was bored and picked it up from a random shelf at the bookstore.  And as I am still today, I pretty much hate putting down a book once I start it.  So, I just kept on, even though it kind of freaked me out.  I don't really recommend it, actually.  I'm sure I'd feel different if I read it now, but I still glance at my burgers out of fear of undercooked meat.

3. Favorite movie that came from a book.
Crap.  Ummm...Pride & Prejudice (the Keira Knightley version, as I haven't seen the Colin Firth one).  I love that book.  One of my favourites.  And normally I hate hate HATE movies made out of my favourite books, but the beauty and the cinematography of the movie is stunning.  And I think how they handled Mr. Darcy is brilliant.

4. Movie that you loved so much that you WISHED there was a book out so that you could find out more about the movie.
Paris, Je T'aime.  I just want to know how the segment with Gaspard Ulliel (be still, my heart) ends!  Does he find him again?!  Do they connect?!  OH MY GOD I HAVE TO KNOW.

5. Worst book you’ve ever read?
Can I say Toxin by Robin Cooke?  I understand there's probably a bias there.  Will I be publicly slandered if I say A Farewell to Arms by Hemmingway?  It's not that it's a bad book, because it's not.  I understand it, I respect it, I see perfectly well its literary value.  But I just do not like Hemmingway's style.  In terms of worst content, I've read some pretty terrible chick lit books.  I didn't like Charlaine Harris's Shakespeare's Landlord.  The writing was so annoying and the characters were so unlikeable I didn't even finish it.

6. Book that everyone raves about that you either a) haven’t read and feel slightly dumb for not having read it or b) have tried to read and hated and so feel slightly dumb that everyone is getting something you don’t.
Anything by Vonnegut.  I couldn't get into him.  Like Hemmingway, I get the literary value (I did finish Slaugherhouse-Five, as it was a school assignment) and I respect the writing, I just don't like it.  And if anyone out there actually likes the Twilight Series for literary value, Wayne Brady is gonna have to choke a bitch.

7. If you were forced to choose only 3 books that you could read for the rest of your life, which ones would they be?
My heart just constricted.  Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, because it is my absolute favorite book in the world. Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger, because every time I read it I get something new out of it.  And...this is so difficult ahhhh...the His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman, because I can--and have--read that over and over and still enjoy it.  And yeah, I cheated, I know.

8. Name one book that if you could recommend that everyone you know read, what is it?
Agh this is just so hard!  I really do think the His Dark Materials series is something everyone should read.  Ignore the stupid ass movie completely, because it does zero justice to the books.

9. What is your “guilty pleasure” reading?
Chick Lit, though specifically Susan Elizabeth Phillips.  I always feel as though I should be reading heavier, thought-provoking books, but we all need a break sometime.  Give me a girl in crisis saved by the rugged but brooding hunk of a man any day.

10. What book (excepting the Bible or other major document of your religion/faith) has changed your outlook on life the most?
Viktor Frankl's Man Search For Meaning.  I don't quote it ever--I actually don't think I could--but I remember reading it in 12th grade for Doc E's class.  I remember sitting on my couch reading it, and I honestly felt that when I looked up from the page, my entire world view was different.  It's a very strange experience, but my approach to life, and how I live and what I view changed.


Ok, that was incredibly difficult, and I know the minute I read this later I'm going to want to change a million answers.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  January 20, 2010 at 1:05 PM  

9. My thoughts exactly. I enjoy them but I always feel like I SHOULD be reading more substantial stuff!

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
I'm fairly obsessed with penguins, Peanuts (the comic), and the TV show Friends. Parentheses may or may not be (over)used in this blog, and books will pretty much be the only thing I ever talk about because they are my One True Love.

Labels

#best09 #reverb10 12 Changes in 2012 2011 2012 20sb 30 Day Journal Challenge AAA absence album anecdote art article bad mood Balboa bathroom beach birthday blackout blog blog award blog birthday blog swap Blurb of Absurd body book books books; book review bored boys brother building fail California cards challenge change Chargers childhood China Glaze Christmas cigarettes clutter comic-con contest conversation excerpt cop out post Coronado creepy December Nights decoration Demi Lovato dilemma Disney Disneyland do you want to date me? documentaries Downtown Disney Dr. Horrible drag queens dream drunk earthquake Easter emotional Essie Fall family fashion Father's Day fear fiftypeopleonequestion fill in the blank friday Film first kiss food friends frustrated fun funny future future fail gifts girls Glee Golden Globes Google Google reader Google Wave greek guest blog Halloween happy health health insurance needs to rot in hell (but does it cover that?) help me hero hiatus hit and runs SUCK ASS holidays home hope hot humor hypothetical situations not at all based on reality or my life imaginary in memoriam inspiration introspective iPad Italians Jeopardy Jersey Shore John Mayer journalism judgment L'Oreal LA letters to myself library lies life life lessons Link Love Friday list love lust Mama Kat's Workshop Mash-Up Mayer Hawthorne mom money movies music nails NaNoWriMo nerd new year night out OPI opinion packaging party past peace Peanuts penguin personal photos pictures place poetry polish Portland Postsecret random relationships Restaurant Road to VDay room roommates from hell rush sad sdcc10 secret shame shopping sick sleep spoken word sports Starbucks strange Target tea Teaser Tuesday technology Ten on Tuesday thanksgiving this makes no sense this should probably embarrass me but it doesn't tips Top Ten Tuesday (Books) Toy Story 3 travel trips TV TV taping Twitter Utah Valentine's Day Vancouver 2010 weather weekend WHAT IS MY LIFE why does auto-correct suck so hard Wordless Wednesday work work sucks workshop writer's block writing YA you're not really a doctor anyway Zoya

i'm probably reading

Zoe's bookshelf: read

The Dragon's EyeAngelsThe Lightning ThiefThe Man of My DreamsCity of GlassCity of Ashes

More of Zoe's books »
Zoe's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP