Who knew doing stuff took such an effort? (And Fill-in-the-Blank Friday!)

Friday, May 7, 2010

This has been a ridiculously busy week.  I don't really know how that happened when I a) don't have a job, and b) am flaky as fuck and never respond to my friends when they graciously ask me to do stuff.  What's this, I have to make an effort to be social?  Well shit...

Seriously though, for the first time in perhaps 7 months, I was responsive to people and had things to do.  Which could be why I was perpetually exhausted this week.  I don't know your guys' sleeping habits, but I never sleep past 7 hours.  Never.  I don't know why, but my body will wake me up at the 7 hour mark on the dot.  This is on the assumption I can get 7 hours of sleep anyway, most of the time it averages 5 hours or so. I have issues sleeping past 10:30--problematic when you're a ridiculous night owl.

Toothless!
Anyway.  Notable things Ashley did this week:
  • Attended Brother's Girlfriend's Asian American Club Graduation Ceremony (meaning the Asian American club had a special grad ceremony for all their graduating members--which includes bro's gf).  I felt very old, despite being the youngest.  Also? I was not prepared to be around that many Asian people again. If I wanted that, I'd return to my alma mater.
  • Got a hair cut.  Seems insignificant, but  it went from my waist to 2 inches past my shoulders.  It's like an entire lifestyle change, dudes.  So many movements I used to do (ie, leaning to the right when I got in my car so I wouldn't catch my hair in the door, dipping my head forward when I sit so I wouldn't sit on my hair, etc) are unnecessary now, and I feel like I'm learning to walk all over again.  But bright side, a small fortune may be saved on shampoo/condition expenses!
  • Went to 5 different libraries in 2 days. I don't know what is wrong with me.
  • Saw "How To Train Your Dragon" (thanks to Sarah for the late birthday present!), and holy bejeezus it was soooooo cute!  I mean, it was a really good movie anyway, but the dragons and even the Viking people (namely Hiccup) were so freakin' CUTE!  And I want a Toothless!  Seriously, if you haven't seen it, please stop reading this (well...) and scoot your cutie booty over to the nearest theatre pronto.
  • Worked out three days.  Trust me when I say that does not happen.  Ever.  I don't think I pushed myself hard enough, but it's a gradual thing to even get into exercising at all.  Baby steps, but...steps.  I have also learned after 30 minutes of Zumba that there are some ways my hips just cannot move.  I thought they could, I always figured they could be taught, they could learn, and sometimes there's even a glimpse of hope...but my hips have, in fact, lied.
Not mentioned are the errands, multiple trips to Panera, and household cleaning done this week as well.  This weekend gets to be packed, what with an annual craft fair my mom and I go to being in town and then Mother's Day on Sunday.  All of my mom's immediate family will be going to a Mother's Day brunch at a fancy schmancy restaurant in Coronado (one of my favourite places in the world!), which should be...interesting.  I look forward to spending time with my family, at least.
Before I end with this week's Fill-in-the-Blank Friday, I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!  And a very happy Mother's Day to all mom's, or to all my reader's moms.

1. My favourite book growing up was "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott.  It's cheesy, it's classic, it's every little literature girl's love.  But I'm such a Josephine March, the book is engraved into my soul.

2. The funniest book I ever read is "I Am America: And So Can You!" by Stephen Colbert.  Does that count as a book?  If not, of course I laugh at David Sedaris books, and I quite enjoy Jen Lancaster.  The most recent book I laughed at was "The Book of Joe"--Jonathon Tropper is amazing.

3. The one book that has truly changed my life is "Franny and Zooey" by JD Salinger. "I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody."

4. If you're looking for a real "tear jerker" you should probably read "A Walk To Remember" by Nicholas Sparks.  I know, I know, it's dumb and we've all seen the movie and I have made it quite clear how much his writing annoys me. But I couldn't help but bawl while I was reading this.  And maybe it was just me, but I may have lost my shit shed a few tears while reading "The Time Traveler's Wife."  It's one of my favourites now, but...whoo. It just cut me deep, man.

5. If I could meet any author living or dead I would want to meet William Shakespeare or Jane Austen.

6. The next books on my "to read" list are "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", "The Historian", "Love in the Time of Cholera", "Signora da Vinci", "Emma", "The Feast of Love", and "The Ruby in the Smoke".  Those are the ones sitting on my nightstand, anyway--all from the library.

7. If I was snowed into a remote cabin in the woods and could only choose three books to bring with me, I'd bring "Pride and Prejudice", "Franny and Zooey", and the His Dark Materials series (I know that kind of cheats, but that's just the way I roll).

5 comments:

Melissa May 7, 2010 at 6:54 AM  

Oooh, the always-confusing Major Haircut. Doesn't your head feel so much lighter, though? Once I cut mine from basically waist-length, like yours, to a chin-length bob, and it was like I lost 40 pounds in a day. Also - pictures! We want pictures!! Okay, maybe *I* just want pictures.

P.S. My hips also lied at the one and only Zumba class I took... I had fun, but there are just some things I can't do.

Stephany May 7, 2010 at 7:45 AM  

I'm going to my first Zumba class on Wednesday and now I'm scared 'cause I ain't go no rhythm. My mom is also going. She can't even clap in tune!

Yikes.

Another David May 7, 2010 at 9:10 AM  

I am Amercia totally counts as a book!

Vivian May 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM  

1. When I cut 11 inches off of my hair, it took me a long time to get used to it, too! There were all these ticks I didn't know I used to do with long hair until I cut it all off.

2. I started going to the gym, too! Total baby steps, I feel ya.

3. I just finished "Kafka on the Shore" by Haruki Marakami. I highly recommend it...once you get past those seven library books that is.

Ashley @ Ashley Loves Books May 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

@Melissa - I definitely felt lighter after! It's so strange the effect hair has on us without even realizing it. And a picture shall pop up sooner or later haha. Also agree about Zumba; incredibly fun, but I'm sooo bad at it.

@Stephany - I bet it was so much fun though!! I had a fun time laughing at myself as I tried to rumba through my living room haha.

@David - Haha ok then! Loooove Stephen Colbert, mann.

@Vivian - Hooray for gyming it! I'm trying to convince my dad to pay for a membership for me since I prefer gyms versus at-home videos or walking outside. And I have officially written that book down on my To-Read list :)

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
I'm fairly obsessed with penguins, Peanuts (the comic), and the TV show Friends. Parentheses may or may not be (over)used in this blog, and books will pretty much be the only thing I ever talk about because they are my One True Love.

Labels

#best09 #reverb10 12 Changes in 2012 2011 2012 20sb 30 Day Journal Challenge AAA absence album anecdote art article bad mood Balboa bathroom beach birthday blackout blog blog award blog birthday blog swap Blurb of Absurd body book books books; book review bored boys brother building fail California cards challenge change Chargers childhood China Glaze Christmas cigarettes clutter comic-con contest conversation excerpt cop out post Coronado creepy December Nights decoration Demi Lovato dilemma Disney Disneyland do you want to date me? documentaries Downtown Disney Dr. Horrible drag queens dream drunk earthquake Easter emotional Essie Fall family fashion Father's Day fear fiftypeopleonequestion fill in the blank friday Film first kiss food friends frustrated fun funny future future fail gifts girls Glee Golden Globes Google Google reader Google Wave greek guest blog Halloween happy health health insurance needs to rot in hell (but does it cover that?) help me hero hiatus hit and runs SUCK ASS holidays home hope hot humor hypothetical situations not at all based on reality or my life imaginary in memoriam inspiration introspective iPad Italians Jeopardy Jersey Shore John Mayer journalism judgment L'Oreal LA letters to myself library lies life life lessons Link Love Friday list love lust Mama Kat's Workshop Mash-Up Mayer Hawthorne mom money movies music nails NaNoWriMo nerd new year night out OPI opinion packaging party past peace Peanuts penguin personal photos pictures place poetry polish Portland Postsecret random relationships Restaurant Road to VDay room roommates from hell rush sad sdcc10 secret shame shopping sick sleep spoken word sports Starbucks strange Target tea Teaser Tuesday technology Ten on Tuesday thanksgiving this makes no sense this should probably embarrass me but it doesn't tips Top Ten Tuesday (Books) Toy Story 3 travel trips TV TV taping Twitter Utah Valentine's Day Vancouver 2010 weather weekend WHAT IS MY LIFE why does auto-correct suck so hard Wordless Wednesday work work sucks workshop writer's block writing YA you're not really a doctor anyway Zoya

i'm probably reading

Zoe's bookshelf: read

The Dragon's EyeAngelsThe Lightning ThiefThe Man of My DreamsCity of GlassCity of Ashes

More of Zoe's books »
Zoe's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP