All the Ways to Say I Love You (version sad)

Wednesday, December 14, 2011



“I love you,” I said to her.
And she smiled back, and kissed my forehead, and tucked my sheets in and said it back.

“I love you,” I said to him.
And he smiled back, and wrapped me in a hug, and said he loved me more, and that he’d be back from work by 9 and to remind my brother of the bill to pay.

“I love you,” I said to him.
And he gave me that funny crooked smile and punched my arm and mumbled back you too, sis.

“I love you,” I said to them.
And they hugged me and said it back, grandma squeezing my hand and grandpa clapping me on the back, right before he made a morbid joke about death and seeing me sometime again--hopefully!

“I love you,” I said to her.
And she cried and hugged me and said we’d always be friends and she’d send me postcards and the moment she was back in town, I’d be her first call to grab a cocktail and catch up on life.

“I love you,” I said to her.
And she smiled across the dinner table and told me she loved me and that I was the best friend she could ever ask for.

“I love you,” I said to him.
And he smiled uncomfortably and looked around, finally saying ditto.

“I love you,” I said to him.
And he said it right back, without hesitation, before picking up his camouflage duffle bag and walking into the terminal.

“I love you,” I said to them.
And they wrapped me in a hug and gave me their joint birthday gift before leaving the restaurant to go back to their house.

“I love you,” I said to him.
And they pulled the sheet up, covering his face in finality.

“I love you,” I said to him.
And Buster the dog jumped and yipped and licked my face and I took it to mean that he meant it back.

“I love you,” I said to him.
And he looked down at me, his arms around me, our lips still swollen, curled into a smile, and he whispered it right back.

“I love you,” I said to him.
And he returned the smile and bent to kiss my forehead as I stood at the sink, washing the breakfast dishes, and he told me he’d be back around 5 as he grabbed his backpack and whisked out the door to his first class of the day.

“I love you,” I said to him.
And he gave me a tight-lipped return smile and said it back, in passing, as he watched the TV. The Raiders were playing.

“I love you,” I said to him.
And he stared back at me, eyes unreadable, body language mute, with nothing to say.

“I love you,” I said to him.
And he shook his head and backed away, staring at me like I was a stranger.

“I love you,” I said to him.
And he repeated it back to me, only he made it past tense.

“But I love you,” I said to him.
And he told me it wasn't enough in the end.
And he told me it didn't matter in the end.
And he told me it was the end.

And 

Finally

I
said
nothing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
I'm fairly obsessed with penguins, Peanuts (the comic), and the TV show Friends. Parentheses may or may not be (over)used in this blog, and books will pretty much be the only thing I ever talk about because they are my One True Love.

Labels

#best09 #reverb10 12 Changes in 2012 2011 2012 20sb 30 Day Journal Challenge AAA absence album anecdote art article bad mood Balboa bathroom beach birthday blackout blog blog award blog birthday blog swap Blurb of Absurd body book books books; book review bored boys brother building fail California cards challenge change Chargers childhood China Glaze Christmas cigarettes clutter comic-con contest conversation excerpt cop out post Coronado creepy December Nights decoration Demi Lovato dilemma Disney Disneyland do you want to date me? documentaries Downtown Disney Dr. Horrible drag queens dream drunk earthquake Easter emotional Essie Fall family fashion Father's Day fear fiftypeopleonequestion fill in the blank friday Film first kiss food friends frustrated fun funny future future fail gifts girls Glee Golden Globes Google Google reader Google Wave greek guest blog Halloween happy health health insurance needs to rot in hell (but does it cover that?) help me hero hiatus hit and runs SUCK ASS holidays home hope hot humor hypothetical situations not at all based on reality or my life imaginary in memoriam inspiration introspective iPad Italians Jeopardy Jersey Shore John Mayer journalism judgment L'Oreal LA letters to myself library lies life life lessons Link Love Friday list love lust Mama Kat's Workshop Mash-Up Mayer Hawthorne mom money movies music nails NaNoWriMo nerd new year night out OPI opinion packaging party past peace Peanuts penguin personal photos pictures place poetry polish Portland Postsecret random relationships Restaurant Road to VDay room roommates from hell rush sad sdcc10 secret shame shopping sick sleep spoken word sports Starbucks strange Target tea Teaser Tuesday technology Ten on Tuesday thanksgiving this makes no sense this should probably embarrass me but it doesn't tips Top Ten Tuesday (Books) Toy Story 3 travel trips TV TV taping Twitter Utah Valentine's Day Vancouver 2010 weather weekend WHAT IS MY LIFE why does auto-correct suck so hard Wordless Wednesday work work sucks workshop writer's block writing YA you're not really a doctor anyway Zoya

i'm probably reading

Zoe's bookshelf: read

The Dragon's EyeAngelsThe Lightning ThiefThe Man of My DreamsCity of GlassCity of Ashes

More of Zoe's books »
Zoe's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP