Top Ten Books I Read in 2011

Monday, December 26, 2011

Another Top Ten Tuesday!  Brought to you by The Broke and The Bookish.  Make sure to visit them and link up if you participate, too!


This time we've got a nice theme for the end of year:
Top Ten Books Read in 2011

I'm quite happy to say that 2011 was a great year in books for me. I read a decent amount (I think I'm at 67, but I have to check the list) and 75% of them were fabulous reads.  Safe to say, this was a difficult list to make. In no particular order (despite that they're ordered...)

1. Bookends by Jane Green. A quick, fluffy read that makes me smile. The MC is a British woman who opens her own bookshop - what wouldn't I love about that?! It's not a groundbreaking masterpiece, but it's one I return to when I need a true, fun chick lit.

2. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.  One of my first forays into dystopian YA fiction, and I have to say...I'm ready to run full force into the genre and never look back! Fascinating and engaging and definitely made me think how our society now is viewed. (It also made me have a minor freak out over the idea of losing penmanship!)

3. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins. As I reviewed here, one of my favourite books EVER. EVER EVER EVER. Sweet and romantic and funny and interesting and I did not put it down.

4. The Duff by Kody Keplinger. Odd that this made my list because there are probably more things I complain about (the main guy's name is Wesley Rush.  Really!?  Could we be more typical?) than praise, but...this book sticks with me. Probably because I relate to being a D.U.F.F more than I'm comfortable saying, but there's definitely a little sympathy that Kody Keplinger elicits from the reader.

5. Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles. Ohhh this book. I had to keep putting it down because I swear I felt so many of the things the characters were. I was right there being frustrated, happy, in love, scared, everything with them.

6. Across the Universe by Beth Revis. I picked this book on a whim at the library (I really liked the cover) and seriously...best. whim. ever.  Quickly became one of the best books I've ever read, it was another Dystopian world that just sucked me in. I just want to hug Amy and tell her it will all be ok; and I want to hold Elder and teach him everything he feels he's missing. Also, Elder's best friend Harley? I can't spoil it, but oh my God. OH MY GOD.

7 and 8. If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Forman. I also read If I Stay on a whim (the cover, again) and was forced to wait 4 months before Where She Went came into my Hold queue at the library, and I seriously think those were the longest four months of my life. I read a review somewhere (I really wish I could remember where) that said, "If I Stay broke me, and Where She Went put me back together."  One of the more accurate statements. And even though that sounds like a spoiler, trust me when I say they don't even measure a teensy bit of how powerful and amazing these books are. I can't even...I wept. I sobbed. I made those stupid sounds where your throat is so closed from tears and general weepiness all you can do is squeak and sound like a snotty nostril. But here's the thing: not all the tears were from sadness, and every single one of them was beautiful.

9. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Ok, so I cheated and counted the trilogy as one - and honestly, I'm not certain I started this in 2011. There's a chance I started it in 2010, but I know I read Mockingjay this year, so that counts for me!  I don't think I have to say much about this since the world is ablaze in the Hunger Games craze (anyone else super excited for the movie? I'm nervous but there's not a chance in hell I'd miss it), but I am right there alongside everyone else. Everything you've heard is true, and if you haven't read this...GO. GO NOW.

10. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. Full disclaimer, I love these two authors. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist and Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List are among some of my favourite books, and I genuinely believe that together, they can do no wrong. Dash & Lily does not disprove that. The book is fun and funny and I wish I knew someone like Dash and I like that I'm sort of similar to Lily and I really, really just want to leave a notebook with a clue next to my favourite books in a bookstore and hope to hell I'll meet the love of my life. Plus, I loved that it was set during Christmastime in New York - romantic with just the opportunity for cheese in the amount I love.

6 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks December 27, 2011 at 1:17 AM  

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares is a perfect holiday season book to read this time of year.

Please take a look at my new challenge to read the ALA YA Book Award winners for 2012.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks.

Lori December 27, 2011 at 5:43 AM  

Great list! I loved Perfect Chemistry so much. I also loved Lola, If I Sat/Where She Went, and of course The Hunger Games!

My Top Ten Favorites

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz December 27, 2011 at 6:33 AM  

I think I'm breaking Across the Universe out today. A perfect book for after Christmas.

Here's my Top Ten Favorite Books I Read in 2011.

Alexa S. December 27, 2011 at 10:07 AM  

I really loved The Hunger Games trilogy! I only got around to reading the books this year (after a while of resisting) and I ended up falling hard and fast for them.

Uglies was also a good read, because it made me think about things. I have to pick up the next in the series, but I'm pretty excited to do that.

And as for Lola, well, there really are no words to express how much I love this book!

Sara (of the Page Sage) December 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM  

I love Uglies and The Hunger Games! Hopefully, I'll get to reading Across the Universe soon. (:

Britt December 30, 2011 at 5:39 PM  

I read several of these and am putting the others on my to-read list since we appear to have the same (amazing) taste in books.
I LOVED Lola. Didn't put it down, either. Anna and the French Kiss by her was amazing, too!

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
I'm fairly obsessed with penguins, Peanuts (the comic), and the TV show Friends. Parentheses may or may not be (over)used in this blog, and books will pretty much be the only thing I ever talk about because they are my One True Love.

Labels

#best09 #reverb10 12 Changes in 2012 2011 2012 20sb 30 Day Journal Challenge AAA absence album anecdote art article bad mood Balboa bathroom beach birthday blackout blog blog award blog birthday blog swap Blurb of Absurd body book books books; book review bored boys brother building fail California cards challenge change Chargers childhood China Glaze Christmas cigarettes clutter comic-con contest conversation excerpt cop out post Coronado creepy December Nights decoration Demi Lovato dilemma Disney Disneyland do you want to date me? documentaries Downtown Disney Dr. Horrible drag queens dream drunk earthquake Easter emotional Essie Fall family fashion Father's Day fear fiftypeopleonequestion fill in the blank friday Film first kiss food friends frustrated fun funny future future fail gifts girls Glee Golden Globes Google Google reader Google Wave greek guest blog Halloween happy health health insurance needs to rot in hell (but does it cover that?) help me hero hiatus hit and runs SUCK ASS holidays home hope hot humor hypothetical situations not at all based on reality or my life imaginary in memoriam inspiration introspective iPad Italians Jeopardy Jersey Shore John Mayer journalism judgment L'Oreal LA letters to myself library lies life life lessons Link Love Friday list love lust Mama Kat's Workshop Mash-Up Mayer Hawthorne mom money movies music nails NaNoWriMo nerd new year night out OPI opinion packaging party past peace Peanuts penguin personal photos pictures place poetry polish Portland Postsecret random relationships Restaurant Road to VDay room roommates from hell rush sad sdcc10 secret shame shopping sick sleep spoken word sports Starbucks strange Target tea Teaser Tuesday technology Ten on Tuesday thanksgiving this makes no sense this should probably embarrass me but it doesn't tips Top Ten Tuesday (Books) Toy Story 3 travel trips TV TV taping Twitter Utah Valentine's Day Vancouver 2010 weather weekend WHAT IS MY LIFE why does auto-correct suck so hard Wordless Wednesday work work sucks workshop writer's block writing YA you're not really a doctor anyway Zoya

i'm probably reading

Zoe's bookshelf: read

The Dragon's EyeAngelsThe Lightning ThiefThe Man of My DreamsCity of GlassCity of Ashes

More of Zoe's books »
Zoe's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP