I'm kind of lucky like this...

Thursday, February 18, 2010

For anyone who has been to Orange County and San Diego, you know the main coastal connector is the 5 Freeway.  In my four years of college, I drove this way at least every other week, some months even every weekend.  During that horrific first summer between first and second year, and the following few beginning months of second year, I often drove home during the week in addition to the weekend trips.  Yeah, I wasted gas, I know--but I wasn't in any mental place to stay away from my home longer than I could stand.

How did that get so depressing?  Wow.  Apologies.

I've always thought I was really lucky to have the drive/almost-commute that I do.  Living in Orange County is pretty enough (too pretty sometimes, since it's all planned community and shit), but I get to drive by the ocean to get home.  People dream about the ocean, wish for it, spend their life-savings just to see the thing I drive by almost daily.  Of course I take it for granted, but I try to remember how lucky I am.  Renewed perspective has been given ever since I moved away, and now every time I visit I feel like I'm seeing so much more of it.

So, on this drive, I always pass this:

View Larger Map

What is that, you ask?  It's a View Point.  I guess the people who constructed the freeway were quite aware the beauty of the scenery, because in the middle of this loooooooong stretch of nothing (it's actually part of the Camp Pendleton Army Base) is this random exit to a view point.  It doesn't really look it, but the road is actually the edge of a cliff, and all the dirt you see below that is a drop into the ocean.

For five years, I've wanted to stop there, but I never did.  Usually I forgot about it and only remember as I blow right by it (I guess going 80 mph does have its downfalls), and I was always sad.  I see so many people there and I just want to know!

Well, mission accomplished!  On my drive back this past weekend from visiting a friend, I saw the sign (Ace of Base FTW!) and figured...it's 4pm, I have nowhere else to be, it's an absolutely gorgeous day out...I'm going!  I don't care that I'm going to hit shithole traffic, that it's Valentine's Day and it will be filled with couples, that I'll inevitably get weird stares for being by myself (for the record, check mark! on all of those).

And it was. so. worth. it.  I'm standing on a cliff, beautiful sunlight, clear skies, crisp air...it doesn't get any better than that.


I tried to take a shot while I was driving, but...y'know...safety and all had to be taken into account.  Regardless, you can kind of see what I drive by!  In the corner (apologies for the window breaking it) you can see the ship that I got in the zoomed in pictures above.

I forget a lot, but...I really do love California.

2 comments:

Vivian February 19, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

When I used to visit friends in San Diego, I'd take the train and the views were always so amazing. You hit this point and the ocean is breathtaking. I love moments like this.

Ashley February 23, 2010 at 10:19 AM  

I've visited California twice and the last time, I stopped at this viewpoint. I'd never seen one before, but I am SO glad that I did. When we went, we feed macaroni and cheese crackers to squirrels and rabbits there. They came up and took it out of our hands. I had a blast!

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
I'm fairly obsessed with penguins, Peanuts (the comic), and the TV show Friends. Parentheses may or may not be (over)used in this blog, and books will pretty much be the only thing I ever talk about because they are my One True Love.

Labels

#best09 #reverb10 12 Changes in 2012 2011 2012 20sb 30 Day Journal Challenge AAA absence album anecdote art article bad mood Balboa bathroom beach birthday blackout blog blog award blog birthday blog swap Blurb of Absurd body book books books; book review bored boys brother building fail California cards challenge change Chargers childhood China Glaze Christmas cigarettes clutter comic-con contest conversation excerpt cop out post Coronado creepy December Nights decoration Demi Lovato dilemma Disney Disneyland do you want to date me? documentaries Downtown Disney Dr. Horrible drag queens dream drunk earthquake Easter emotional Essie Fall family fashion Father's Day fear fiftypeopleonequestion fill in the blank friday Film first kiss food friends frustrated fun funny future future fail gifts girls Glee Golden Globes Google Google reader Google Wave greek guest blog Halloween happy health health insurance needs to rot in hell (but does it cover that?) help me hero hiatus hit and runs SUCK ASS holidays home hope hot humor hypothetical situations not at all based on reality or my life imaginary in memoriam inspiration introspective iPad Italians Jeopardy Jersey Shore John Mayer journalism judgment L'Oreal LA letters to myself library lies life life lessons Link Love Friday list love lust Mama Kat's Workshop Mash-Up Mayer Hawthorne mom money movies music nails NaNoWriMo nerd new year night out OPI opinion packaging party past peace Peanuts penguin personal photos pictures place poetry polish Portland Postsecret random relationships Restaurant Road to VDay room roommates from hell rush sad sdcc10 secret shame shopping sick sleep spoken word sports Starbucks strange Target tea Teaser Tuesday technology Ten on Tuesday thanksgiving this makes no sense this should probably embarrass me but it doesn't tips Top Ten Tuesday (Books) Toy Story 3 travel trips TV TV taping Twitter Utah Valentine's Day Vancouver 2010 weather weekend WHAT IS MY LIFE why does auto-correct suck so hard Wordless Wednesday work work sucks workshop writer's block writing YA you're not really a doctor anyway Zoya

i'm probably reading

Zoe's bookshelf: read

The Dragon's EyeAngelsThe Lightning ThiefThe Man of My DreamsCity of GlassCity of Ashes

More of Zoe's books »
Zoe's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP