not enough novacaine, how i lied in my last post, and why the olympics are the greatest for bestowing on us the wonders of a tattoo.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

This is going to be one of those scatter-brained posts, because there are things I'd like to blog about, but they're not enough to turn it into a legitimate, this-was-worth-my-time-to-read post.

So, obviously, putting it all into one makes it worthy of your time.  I know, it's genius.  Feel free to steal the idea, friends.  I won't even ask for credit.

- First, as some have noticed, blog layout change!  I was insanely sick of the peach and my old header, so I dug around and found this current layout.  I like it for now, but we'll see...it's a busy week, so I'm not going to fiddle around with it.  Juliana did let me know that my page took forever to load (it actually never completely did), and I think it has to do with the amount of images I have, especially since I added social network buttons.  It has loaded for everyone else, so I'm hoping it was only a minor glitch.  Also, big thanks to Stephen for letting me know my comments were acting up again...ugh.  BUT!  I think I have permanently fixed it!  Finally just coded in a scrollbar at the verification part, so hopefully that takes care of it.  Lovely friend Samra, who sucks because she doesn't have a blog for me to link to, has tested it and so far it's good.  If anyone else would like to test, it'd be much appreciated!

- I wonder what life was before the Olympics.  I only vaguely remember things prior to a malfunctioning torch being lit.  You would think I'd be tired of it all by now; hell, I thought I'd be tired of it all by now.  And yet, I'm just finding more sports to be into!  I mean, who knew how fucking awesome biathlon was!?  Not that I endorse giving a gun to someone who's just skied 5 miles at top speed, but it is pretty entertaining.  Wikipedia has been my best friend this Winter Olympics, because it has clarified so many things.  I understand now how curling is scored, the difference between a triple axel and a triple Salchow, why a ski jumper won't be automatically in the shitter for not landing a jump, who Lindsey Vonn ran to after she won her Gold, and so many other things.

Also, the Olympics bestowed this gem on the world:

He's 19, ladies.  It's legal.  Get in line.
(Excluding the fact that this was actually a sad moment when he was DQed out of the race.  But still...)

- I mentioned carpal tunnel in my last post, and some people have been like hold up---22 years old with carpal tunnel?!  So in a brief explanation, I don't actually have carpal tunnel.  I just have 'the beginning stages of what will most likely be carpal tunnel if you don't make a lifestyle change'...or so says a doctor two years ago.  It's not entirely a surprise to me, as I've been using a computer since I was 4 years old.  That was the time of dial-up internet that had to use the phone line, pixelized games were a breakthrough, the wonders of "You've Got Mail!" from AOL.  Definitely before the time of ergonomic keyboards and the realization that hey, keeping your wrist locked in an unnatural position may not be the best for future health!  Factor in designing newspapers and several magazines since I was 15, all high school and college that now requires things to be done online and/or in typed format, being Creative Director of a magazine in college for a year and a half, and a month-long stint of webdesign...honestly, I'm just glad my wrists haven't fallen off.

- I had a dentist appointment today.  For those paying attention, that makes 2 in two weeks, which obviously means: cavities!  Woo! Party! Fun times! I'm drunk! Let's go streaking!  I'm no stranger to the procedure of the cavity; I can tell you the exact way they're going to clean, prep, fill, cure, and set your tooth (perhaps not in the technical dental terms, but definitely in the correct onomatopoeic terms).  What I can't account for, however, are the small slip ups that happened.  Like when the clamp fell off my tooth after they'd put on the first layer of composite so they had to restart from the beginning, effectively ruining about 15 minutes of work.  Or like when they were drilling the second cavity, and all of a sudden-OUCH.  Hey...I felt that.  Ow, and that.  Ok, OW OW I'M FEELING SOMETHING AND THIS IS NOT A DIRTY EUPHEMISM.  And my dentist goes, "Oh...I guess the novacaine is wearing off.  Don't worry, we're almost done."  Uh, hey, no, I have a problem with the continuation of this procedure if I can feel you digging around my teeth!  Oh, my opinion doesn't matter?  Ok then, excuse me as I cry profusely at the intense pain.

- I'm going to hurt my brother's girlfriend.  Except not really, because I love her and she's amazing and I'm pretty sure Brother would kill me, but she got me playing one of those stupid facebook games and I can't handle this.  No it's not FarmVille...but it is Cafe World.  It was only a matter of time I would turn to it after getting a glimpse of Cooking Mama on her Nintendo DS.  But really, my time could be spent so much better than rearranging a cafe and worrying when my fake pot roast will be done because I don't have the counterspace between the chips/guac and shrimp cocktails and strawberry cake.

- I know it's difficult to maintain two blogs, as almost everyone can attest to.  But because I'm a glutton for punishment, a second one is in the works strictly for all things books.  There's this little idea in my head I've been turning and tossing and turning in my head...and as much as I'd like to keep it to one blog, I don't want it attached to my personal life.  I may decide to link it up, but...I really don't know.  As it is, all I've got is the web address, but nothing else has been done so it's hardly even fair to call it "in the works."  It's so far an idea that has put in an offer for real estate...apparently it's still in escrow.  And PS, I have zero idea what that actually means.

Lastly, I would like to share perhaps some of the most creatively adorable designs I've seen in a long time.  Thanks to design*sponge, this is the artist Blanca Gomez.  At her website Cosas minimas, you can see all her illustrations, prints, screens, projects, artwork...and you can be stunned at how simple and beautiful they are.

4 comments:

Vivian February 25, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

I seriously don't understand why I'm so obsessed with the Winter Olympics when I usually just tune in to watch Michelle Kwan (GLORY DAYS). But hot damn, I've been watching it every single night. EVEN. CURLING. Which I'm actually getting into? Ugh.

Also, I SAW you became a fan of CafeWorld or something and was going to make fun of you. But I didn't. Until now. OH REALLY. ;-)

TheBigShowAtUD February 25, 2010 at 2:46 PM  

oh, yeah! the Olympics are great. no shame. i've watched it for hours, every day. and night. there's nothing wrong with a two-week addiction. i'll quit when they make me.

Stephen K February 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM  

I think someone should drill a dentist's teeth without novocaine so they'd stop being so cavalier about it wearing off mid procedure, haha!

Stephany February 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

Oh, yes. I might have squealed a little when J.R. took off his zip-up (I don't know what else to call it!) and showed off that very gorgeous body with that very manly tattoo. Swoon!

And Cafe World? Sounds intriguing! And this is coming from a girl who hates FarmVille!

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
I'm fairly obsessed with penguins, Peanuts (the comic), and the TV show Friends. Parentheses may or may not be (over)used in this blog, and books will pretty much be the only thing I ever talk about because they are my One True Love.

Labels

#best09 #reverb10 12 Changes in 2012 2011 2012 20sb 30 Day Journal Challenge AAA absence album anecdote art article bad mood Balboa bathroom beach birthday blackout blog blog award blog birthday blog swap Blurb of Absurd body book books books; book review bored boys brother building fail California cards challenge change Chargers childhood China Glaze Christmas cigarettes clutter comic-con contest conversation excerpt cop out post Coronado creepy December Nights decoration Demi Lovato dilemma Disney Disneyland do you want to date me? documentaries Downtown Disney Dr. Horrible drag queens dream drunk earthquake Easter emotional Essie Fall family fashion Father's Day fear fiftypeopleonequestion fill in the blank friday Film first kiss food friends frustrated fun funny future future fail gifts girls Glee Golden Globes Google Google reader Google Wave greek guest blog Halloween happy health health insurance needs to rot in hell (but does it cover that?) help me hero hiatus hit and runs SUCK ASS holidays home hope hot humor hypothetical situations not at all based on reality or my life imaginary in memoriam inspiration introspective iPad Italians Jeopardy Jersey Shore John Mayer journalism judgment L'Oreal LA letters to myself library lies life life lessons Link Love Friday list love lust Mama Kat's Workshop Mash-Up Mayer Hawthorne mom money movies music nails NaNoWriMo nerd new year night out OPI opinion packaging party past peace Peanuts penguin personal photos pictures place poetry polish Portland Postsecret random relationships Restaurant Road to VDay room roommates from hell rush sad sdcc10 secret shame shopping sick sleep spoken word sports Starbucks strange Target tea Teaser Tuesday technology Ten on Tuesday thanksgiving this makes no sense this should probably embarrass me but it doesn't tips Top Ten Tuesday (Books) Toy Story 3 travel trips TV TV taping Twitter Utah Valentine's Day Vancouver 2010 weather weekend WHAT IS MY LIFE why does auto-correct suck so hard Wordless Wednesday work work sucks workshop writer's block writing YA you're not really a doctor anyway Zoya

i'm probably reading

Zoe's bookshelf: read

The Dragon's EyeAngelsThe Lightning ThiefThe Man of My DreamsCity of GlassCity of Ashes

More of Zoe's books »
Zoe's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP