Happy March, lovies!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Contrary to the exclamation point used in the post title, it's actually been a pretty terrible weekend.  It was just a sequence of days where every doubt I've ever had about me and my life comes creeping around and settles on my shoulder.  And they've had a heavy lunch.  And they're carrying backpacks filled with boulders.  Having a party.  And they call all their friends and family to join them, so next thing I know all these doubts I didn't even know I had are creeping around in my head.  I'm doubting everything, from ability to lack of job to friendships to future to past mistakes...it's terrible.

It's hard to snap back from that, but...I'm trying.

That said, Happy March! How in the world are we three months deep into the new year already? I understand I lost about 16 days glued to my TV cheering random sports and countries in the hopes of 3 medals, but I'm still a bit befuddled.

This promises to be an...interesting month.  For several reasons, most of which revolve around the fact that in 19 days, I turn 23.  Twenty-three freakin' years old.  I feel so old, and so young.  Time can never be harnessed, and yet I feel like a lifetime has passed.

I don't make a big deal about my birthday.  I never really have, mostly because it falls at an inopportune time for students.  Always a test, a final, a big assignment--or if it is Spring Break, none of my friends are around or I'm gone.  I've never thought it was a problem, because that's how it has always been.  And I don't feel sad about the non-parties, because going to dinner with my family is enough for me.  Besides, birthdays are transferable in my house; I can celebrate it any week I want (within reason, of course).

But this year, it's unavoidable.  See, in a military kid's life, certain birthdays mean something.  A child of a military parent is called a dependent.  As a dependent, you are given certain privileges and benefits: access to the base, a waiver on your tuition (state colleges of residence only), discounts.  But most importantly, you are given health benefits.  Every health concern is completely covered.  My shitty teeth, three years of braces, the one year of a retainer...covered.  My two ovarian cysts, sprained ankle, carpal-tunnel-but-not wrists, arthritic ankles, stress headaches, a brief and terribly painful stint of high blood pressure combined with kidney stones, all of which resulted in ER trips and/or several doctor trips...covered.  My slowly regressing vision, the glasses to fix my almost legal blindness...covered.

A dependent's privileges end when he or she reaches the age of 21...UNLESS you are attending college full time.  If that is the case, then the privileges are extended until the age of 23.  My entire life, I've never had to worry about paying for a single medical expense.  And all of a sudden, I'm going to be thrust into this world without any coverage...and I don't have a job.  This is a definite cause for concern.  It's safe to say that I'm on the verge of hyperventilation at this thought.  Except that could cause a lot more medical problems, and I can't afford that.  Oh irony, you kill me...

March also marks my 6 month mark of unemployment.  I never thought I'd have such a gap of unemployment, and I do not look forward to explaining this to any interviewers.  The job search suffered a pretty bad setback this year, since I was sick for the entire first month.  And then I lost my resume file in all the computer switching, so it's been extreme slow-going of rebuilding that alongside the portfolio.  Those doubts were all back this week, reminding me how I was supposed to be working my way up through the editorial route at some magazine...and here I am watching a Disney movie with the only plans of this week being my third dentist appointment to fix more cavities.

Snapping back...right.

On the bright side of my birthday, I am no longer in school, which means proper celebration!  A few friends and I are going up to Newport Beach for a weekend, so I'm excited to see a bunch of my friends.  It will be kind of nice to have (almost) everyone I love together, so at least I have that to look forward to.

Also, that means one more month until ScriptFrenzy! I haven't fully decided if I'm going to do it since I've never had an inkling of a desire to write a screenplay.  Nor do I know anything about the style...or have a decent idea for a script...or think I could possibly write stage directions...or picture how my writing would be on a screen.  But, you know...creativity!  Writing!  It's things I love, I may as well consider it, right?  Right.

And I am looking forward to Spring.  Winter is my favourite season, but all this rain is so unusual for southern California that I'm looking forward to getting the heat back on my body.  Beaches and tank tops and sunglasses (even though I can't wear those) and shorts and driving with the windows down and breeze flowing through.  Plus, I'm lookin' mighty pale for a brown girl...it'll be nice to get a little bit o' colour back on me.

There's always a light where the shadows fall, at least.

What's in store for your month?

2 comments:

Stephen K March 1, 2010 at 6:42 AM  

I'm not sure what March has in store for me, except a bunch of other people's birthdays, haha! That's exciting and scary at the same time.

Stephany March 1, 2010 at 1:59 PM  

Since I work part-time, I can't get any type of health insurance. And it would cost $200/month to be put on my mom's. And my school's insurance costs $1,000/semester. So, yeah, needless to say I don't have any.

Which is why our healthcare system sucks but whatev. Luckily, I've never been too sick where I've needed to go to a doctor/hospital. Fingers crossed!

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
I'm fairly obsessed with penguins, Peanuts (the comic), and the TV show Friends. Parentheses may or may not be (over)used in this blog, and books will pretty much be the only thing I ever talk about because they are my One True Love.

Labels

#best09 #reverb10 12 Changes in 2012 2011 2012 20sb 30 Day Journal Challenge AAA absence album anecdote art article bad mood Balboa bathroom beach birthday blackout blog blog award blog birthday blog swap Blurb of Absurd body book books books; book review bored boys brother building fail California cards challenge change Chargers childhood China Glaze Christmas cigarettes clutter comic-con contest conversation excerpt cop out post Coronado creepy December Nights decoration Demi Lovato dilemma Disney Disneyland do you want to date me? documentaries Downtown Disney Dr. Horrible drag queens dream drunk earthquake Easter emotional Essie Fall family fashion Father's Day fear fiftypeopleonequestion fill in the blank friday Film first kiss food friends frustrated fun funny future future fail gifts girls Glee Golden Globes Google Google reader Google Wave greek guest blog Halloween happy health health insurance needs to rot in hell (but does it cover that?) help me hero hiatus hit and runs SUCK ASS holidays home hope hot humor hypothetical situations not at all based on reality or my life imaginary in memoriam inspiration introspective iPad Italians Jeopardy Jersey Shore John Mayer journalism judgment L'Oreal LA letters to myself library lies life life lessons Link Love Friday list love lust Mama Kat's Workshop Mash-Up Mayer Hawthorne mom money movies music nails NaNoWriMo nerd new year night out OPI opinion packaging party past peace Peanuts penguin personal photos pictures place poetry polish Portland Postsecret random relationships Restaurant Road to VDay room roommates from hell rush sad sdcc10 secret shame shopping sick sleep spoken word sports Starbucks strange Target tea Teaser Tuesday technology Ten on Tuesday thanksgiving this makes no sense this should probably embarrass me but it doesn't tips Top Ten Tuesday (Books) Toy Story 3 travel trips TV TV taping Twitter Utah Valentine's Day Vancouver 2010 weather weekend WHAT IS MY LIFE why does auto-correct suck so hard Wordless Wednesday work work sucks workshop writer's block writing YA you're not really a doctor anyway Zoya

i'm probably reading

Zoe's bookshelf: read

The Dragon's EyeAngelsThe Lightning ThiefThe Man of My DreamsCity of GlassCity of Ashes

More of Zoe's books »
Zoe's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP