Things I've Learned (or had reaffirmed) After Going to the Bars With Friends

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Image source unknown, no matter how much I try through TinEye.
1) Being the Ugly One Is Not Necessarily A Bad Thing.  I don't mean this in a fishing-for-compliments way, nor in a woe-is-me-I'm-a-horrid-witch.  I'm...you know...cute enough.  It's not about me being unattractive, it's the fact that my friends are freakin' hot. F'realz, my friends are the kind that stop men in their tracks, that make men flirt with them while holding hands with another girl (true story. on multiple occasions), that make men spend dozens of dollars on drinks in the hopes of a dance.  So yeah, being the "ugly" one was kind of nice, since I didn't have to worry so much about the guys hitting on me.  There were still a few, but definitely not as many guys as my friends had to deal with.

2) Douchebags Congregate.  It's not like I expect to find topnotch men in bars, but I swear to God a drop of alcohol and assholes in the vicinity just exacerbates all that is wrong with the male population.  At the suggestion of one of the boys in our group (who claimed "No, I go to Bar West all the time, the guys don't act horrible there"), we trekked on over--not even 5 minutes into it, I'd had some guy full-on grab my ass, another one very purposefully rub against my boobs, and three guys say "hey girl, what's your name?".  And like I said, I'm not even the pretty one of my group! Due to bathroom trips and ordering drinks, we ended up staying there for about half an hour; in which I cannot even count the amount of times I was asked to dance or approached or in some way, shape or form hit on.  And normally I'm ok with some flirting, I'm awkwardly flattered and all, but this?  Too. Much.

3) People Still Get Hyped For A Song Even If It Was Played 3 Songs Earlier. The next DJ who plays anything by that sorry-excuse-for-music Kesha (NO I WILL NOT PUT THAT DAMN DOLLAR SIGN) or Katy Perry's wreck of a California Gurls (WHO THE HELL HERE WEARS DAISY DUKES?!) within 2 songs of each other may find their precious little Macbook doused accidentally by my drink.

4) It Is Possible To Go 23 Years Without Ever Ordering A Drink.  Because it's true; I've never, ever ordered a drink at a bar.  But every time I've gone out, I have (a) drink(s).  Thanks go to my friends, my friend's boyfriends, and general boys in bars.

5) Even On A Saturday At One of the Busiest Streets in SD, A Bar Can Close At Midnight.  But I cannot, for the life of me, explain why.

6) The Following Outfits/Items Can Be Worn By Men and the Wearer Will Still Get Action: a kilt, nerd-like accessories (suspenders, plaid high-waters worn Urkel-style, and thick-rimmed glasses--all at once), a bright pink fedora, a cross necklace larger than my hand, a button-down shirt with a tie on top of board shorts and sandals, a pinstriped black vest with a large graphic of wings and a naked lady printed on the back, and a shirt with the collar popped so high it covers your nose.

7) And even after all this, all the inappropriate men and the yelling of friends and near-fights at bars and ridiculous cover amounts and having to use the boys bathroom since the girls line is too long and you'll simply never be able to unsee what was left on the urinal...I'll still have an incredibly awesome and entertaining time.

3 comments:

Nic Lake July 20, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

There's a reason that I rarely go to bars. Even in small-town Iowa, the amount of douche-baggery is just as big as in the huge cities. I really have no desire to be associated with guys like that.

Stephen K July 20, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

3) When you're drunk enough, the cheesy songs are freaking awesoeme. For example I listened to that Katy Perry four times in a day due to hyper-ness and alcohol, and don't get me started on how many times I've been listening to that Airplane song with the Paramore girl.

4) Really? That's... unbelievable! I don't know whether to shake my head or high five you.

5) That's the point where you move on ;) You're in an alive city, make the most of it!

6) There's a school of thought that getting the attention is half the battle...

7) Too damn right :p

Vivian July 20, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

Ashley, I need to learn some of these skills so I don't have to buy my own drinks!

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
I'm fairly obsessed with penguins, Peanuts (the comic), and the TV show Friends. Parentheses may or may not be (over)used in this blog, and books will pretty much be the only thing I ever talk about because they are my One True Love.

Labels

#best09 #reverb10 12 Changes in 2012 2011 2012 20sb 30 Day Journal Challenge AAA absence album anecdote art article bad mood Balboa bathroom beach birthday blackout blog blog award blog birthday blog swap Blurb of Absurd body book books books; book review bored boys brother building fail California cards challenge change Chargers childhood China Glaze Christmas cigarettes clutter comic-con contest conversation excerpt cop out post Coronado creepy December Nights decoration Demi Lovato dilemma Disney Disneyland do you want to date me? documentaries Downtown Disney Dr. Horrible drag queens dream drunk earthquake Easter emotional Essie Fall family fashion Father's Day fear fiftypeopleonequestion fill in the blank friday Film first kiss food friends frustrated fun funny future future fail gifts girls Glee Golden Globes Google Google reader Google Wave greek guest blog Halloween happy health health insurance needs to rot in hell (but does it cover that?) help me hero hiatus hit and runs SUCK ASS holidays home hope hot humor hypothetical situations not at all based on reality or my life imaginary in memoriam inspiration introspective iPad Italians Jeopardy Jersey Shore John Mayer journalism judgment L'Oreal LA letters to myself library lies life life lessons Link Love Friday list love lust Mama Kat's Workshop Mash-Up Mayer Hawthorne mom money movies music nails NaNoWriMo nerd new year night out OPI opinion packaging party past peace Peanuts penguin personal photos pictures place poetry polish Portland Postsecret random relationships Restaurant Road to VDay room roommates from hell rush sad sdcc10 secret shame shopping sick sleep spoken word sports Starbucks strange Target tea Teaser Tuesday technology Ten on Tuesday thanksgiving this makes no sense this should probably embarrass me but it doesn't tips Top Ten Tuesday (Books) Toy Story 3 travel trips TV TV taping Twitter Utah Valentine's Day Vancouver 2010 weather weekend WHAT IS MY LIFE why does auto-correct suck so hard Wordless Wednesday work work sucks workshop writer's block writing YA you're not really a doctor anyway Zoya

i'm probably reading

Zoe's bookshelf: read

The Dragon's EyeAngelsThe Lightning ThiefThe Man of My DreamsCity of GlassCity of Ashes

More of Zoe's books »
Zoe's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP