Because if I can't say it, at least I can write it on my blog in some weird passive-aggressive venting session.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I don't get angry often.  There are things that irritate me, there are things that frustrate me, but to get me really truly angry is difficult.  I like to think I'm pretty easygoing (usually), and I'm a pro at rationalizing and/or brushing things off.  I'm very "big picture" when it comes to negative emotions and I can easily compartmentalize most things into "this sucks, but it won't matter in this many hours, so just let it go now and we can move on."  And it works for me.

But one thing that definitely angers me is when people tell me to choose a different area of study if/when I return to grad school/continue my education.  My optometrist said it to me, a lot of friends, random strangers, and, most recently, at least 6 of my relatives at my family reunion suggested it to me.  Everyone says some sort of variation of "don't do journalism again, it's too hard for a career. Choose something broader that's easier to find jobs.  Like accounting/engineering/medicine/something math based!"

And it pisses. Me. OFF.

I do not choose my study based on its ease.  I do not model my life after something that will gain me the paycheck to support what you deem acceptable, or what this fucked up economy says will be the most profitable.  And I sure as shit do not choose what I study to satisfy some deep-seated need of yours that wants a lawyer in the family or will give you pride when you introduce me to your friend as "Ashley Blogger, MD."

I chose journalism because I --GASP-- like it.  I don't just like it, I happen to love it.  I adore this craft and want to hone the skills required.  It's fascinating to me.  It's something I enjoy.  It makes me happy. I get that it's difficult to be successful in this field, I get that it's pretty much luck and pure balls to make something of yourself within this industry.  I don't expect some six-or-seven figure salary, and I understand how much of a struggle this will be for the rest of my life.  It's not like some math-based study would be incredibly easy or something--I'm sure every single type of field and career will have its own difficulties and struggles.  I'm not going to become an engineer because you see more job listings for it and the income is higher--maybe some people can and will do that, but it does not work that way for me.

And besides...you really want the doctor diagnosing your illness or the engineer making your airplane or the person managing your finances to be someone who was forced into the job, who had to cry in front of her teacher to get a C in AP Calculus II in high school, who has absolutely no interest in that field?  REALLY?!

I'm not asking for these people to agree with my choice, I'm not asking for them to understand it or support it or come around to it.  But I would appreciate a little respect for it.  And if that's too difficult, I will take the thinly-veiled condescension masked as fake acceptance.  Anything to just make these people shut the hell up and stop taking shots at something I love and the way I've chosen to live my life.

2 comments:

Melissa July 7, 2010 at 3:23 PM  

Ugh, I so hear you. Once I told a co-worker I was going back to school for my MLIS and she said, "you know... there aren't many jobs in that field," as if she were delivering some kind of revelatory news that I'd somehow missed as I researched my future career. You know what I think? All of your haters can suck it, because life is too short not to be genuine and follow your dreams.

Amber July 9, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

I fully support you decision to be a journalist. Mainly because it's the same decision I made. I get the same sort of crap from my grandmother and other members of my extended family. My friends and even a few acquaintances have been supportive, though. So that's cool. I've done some freelance work and have written for a few entertainment sites. Even though I can't support myself on the money that I make from my writing and have to work another part-time job to supplement my income, I'm happy that I'm doing what I want to do.

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
I'm fairly obsessed with penguins, Peanuts (the comic), and the TV show Friends. Parentheses may or may not be (over)used in this blog, and books will pretty much be the only thing I ever talk about because they are my One True Love.

Labels

#best09 #reverb10 12 Changes in 2012 2011 2012 20sb 30 Day Journal Challenge AAA absence album anecdote art article bad mood Balboa bathroom beach birthday blackout blog blog award blog birthday blog swap Blurb of Absurd body book books books; book review bored boys brother building fail California cards challenge change Chargers childhood China Glaze Christmas cigarettes clutter comic-con contest conversation excerpt cop out post Coronado creepy December Nights decoration Demi Lovato dilemma Disney Disneyland do you want to date me? documentaries Downtown Disney Dr. Horrible drag queens dream drunk earthquake Easter emotional Essie Fall family fashion Father's Day fear fiftypeopleonequestion fill in the blank friday Film first kiss food friends frustrated fun funny future future fail gifts girls Glee Golden Globes Google Google reader Google Wave greek guest blog Halloween happy health health insurance needs to rot in hell (but does it cover that?) help me hero hiatus hit and runs SUCK ASS holidays home hope hot humor hypothetical situations not at all based on reality or my life imaginary in memoriam inspiration introspective iPad Italians Jeopardy Jersey Shore John Mayer journalism judgment L'Oreal LA letters to myself library lies life life lessons Link Love Friday list love lust Mama Kat's Workshop Mash-Up Mayer Hawthorne mom money movies music nails NaNoWriMo nerd new year night out OPI opinion packaging party past peace Peanuts penguin personal photos pictures place poetry polish Portland Postsecret random relationships Restaurant Road to VDay room roommates from hell rush sad sdcc10 secret shame shopping sick sleep spoken word sports Starbucks strange Target tea Teaser Tuesday technology Ten on Tuesday thanksgiving this makes no sense this should probably embarrass me but it doesn't tips Top Ten Tuesday (Books) Toy Story 3 travel trips TV TV taping Twitter Utah Valentine's Day Vancouver 2010 weather weekend WHAT IS MY LIFE why does auto-correct suck so hard Wordless Wednesday work work sucks workshop writer's block writing YA you're not really a doctor anyway Zoya

i'm probably reading

Zoe's bookshelf: read

The Dragon's EyeAngelsThe Lightning ThiefThe Man of My DreamsCity of GlassCity of Ashes

More of Zoe's books »
Zoe's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP